"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/27/2008 Jarryd Tinson (Australia)

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 01/27/2008 Jarryd Tinson (Australia)

Post by sharkbait »

Tuna boat deckhand Kusnadi brandishes the knife he used to cut off the head of a mako shark which was biting his mate's leg. Photo: Chris McCormack/172387
Tuna boat deckhand Kusnadi brandishes the knife he used to cut off the head of a mako shark which was biting his mate's leg. Photo: Chris McCormack/172387
jarryd_Tinson_shark_attack1.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 12807 times
Off with its head
12:00a.m. 29 January 2008
| By Sam Benger

Crew members on board the tuna boat the Straight Shooter docked at Mooloolaba yesterday, telling how they hacked off a shark’s head as it latched on to their mate’s leg on Sunday.

Fishermen Zac Perry, Jack Wisse and Luke King, from NSW, along with Indonesian deckhand Kusnadi , were on hand when 20-year-old Jarryd Tinson was attacked by a 3m mako shark while they were fishing 200km off Coolangatta.

The shark was hauled on board the ship with a swordfish and tuna catch early on Sunday morning.

The crew said Jarryd had tried to step over the shark and accidentally stepped on its tail, causing it to whip around and grab hold of his right leg, just behind the knee.

A quick-thinking Kusnadi then grabbed a knife used to clean fish and rushed to his friend’s aid.

He said that he first cut the shark’s tail as it thrashed around on the deck and then managed to hack off its head with the machete.

Kusnadi said while the incident was frightening, it was all over in a matter of minutes.

He said the boat’s skipper, Adam Whan, prised the shark’s jaws off Jarryd’s leg with his bare hands before stitching up the wound and calling the paramedics.

Crewmate Zac Perry said the bite victim was in shock and “pretty stressed” when the attack happened.

“He wasn’t too bad – he just yelled, ‘Get it off me!’ and we were just trying to smash the shark and get it off him because it was clamped on to his leg.

“(These sharks) normally try to do like a death roll when they grip onto something, but luckily this one was pretty calm.”

Luke, a tuna fisherman for five years, said while he had never seen a shark attack before, it was common for the fishermen to pull up a mako shark attached to long lines used to catch tuna and swordfish.

“We pull up a couple every time we go out,” he said.

“This one was about 100kg, but I’ve seen them up to 400 or 500kg and they’re usually pretty aggressive. They thrash around a bit.

“But Jarryd was pretty lucky because this shark was pretty calm.

“It could’ve been a lot worse because where it bit him was right near an artery (behind his knee).”

Luke said the cut was deep and there was a concern that the wound could become infected, so paramedics airlifted Jarryd to the Gold Coast Hospital.

He said the crew had spoken to him yesterday and he was in good spirits. He was expected to have a skin graft while in hospital.

But Luke said the shark attack would not deter the crew from carrying out their jobs in the future, and they planned to head back out to sea on Friday.

As for the shark, he said the crew had kept its body, but were forced to throw the head back into the ocean in accordance with fishing regulations.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/jan/29/its-head/
sharkbait
Site Admin

01/27/2008 Jarryd Tinson (Australia)

Post by sharkbait »

Jarryd Tinson lies in his Gold Coast Hospital bed, waiting for surgery on his leg which was bitten by a shark on Sunday.

Shark victim tells of vicious attack
29Jan08
Jarryd Tinson lies in his Gold Coast Hospital bed, waiting for surgery on his leg which was bitten by a shark on Sunday. Picture: Lyndon Mechielsen
Jarryd Tinson lies in his Gold Coast Hospital bed, waiting for surgery on his leg which was bitten by a shark on Sunday. Picture: Lyndon Mechielsen
jarryd_Tinson_shark_attack.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 12808 times

JARRYD Tinson is used to handling up to 20 sharks a day in his job as a tuna fisherman.

But the 3m mako shark that was hauled aboard the long-line tuna vessel Straight Shooter about 200km off the Gold Coast on Sunday was nowhere near as placid as it seemed.

The 20-year-old fisherman from Forster on the NSW mid north coast was about to gut the 90kg fish when he stepped over its tail to grab a knife.

Suddenly it arched its head upwards, sank its teeth into his right leg and hung on tight.

"The pain was excruciating," said Mr Tinson as he lay in a Gold Coast Hospital bed yesterday, awaiting surgery.

"(The shark) just calmly latched on to me.

"I was kind of in shock. I don't want to say the word I said, but I looked down and I started to realise I could lose me leg, so I just started screaming (for help)."

One of his shipmates tried to kill the shark with his knife but was unsuccessful.

Skipper Adam Whan then stepped in and took decisive action, almost decapitating the shark with his knife before it finally let go of Mr Tinson's leg.

"The skipper acted fast and acted sensibly and got him off me."

Mr Whan called for help and the RACQ CareFlight helicopter airlifted the injured fisherman to the hospital.

The shark had sunk its teeth down to the bone.

Doctors told Mr Tinson the wound would require up to 100 stitches. "There's going to be a few scars," he said.

The skipper applied eight rudimentary stitches before the rescue helicopter arrived.

Mr Tinson was surprised he hadn't lost his leg.

"A mako shark normally will latch on and do a big spin. It could have taken my whole calf off."

Mr Tinson has worked as a tuna fisherman for four years. "I'm pretty experienced with sharks, mate. I deal with them every day.

"But I just misjudged this one shark when I went to step over its tail."

Despite his ordeal, Mr Tinson is keen to get back to sea as soon as his leg heals. "I'm a fisherman for life," he said. "I'm making good money, mate.

"But next time a shark comes on board, I'll be a lot more careful.

"One thing I've learned is don't underestimate sharks, especially if they're lying there looking placid."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... story.html

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”