"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

01/10/2008 Jordan Marsden (Florida)

Worldwide Reported Shark Attack Related Incidents in 2008.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Re: 01/10/2008 Jordan Marsden (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Brevard County Surfer Attacked By Shark, Finds Teeth In Foot

POSTED: 8:34 am EST January 18, 2008

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. -- A Brevard County man told Channel 9 a shark bite won't keep him from surfing again.

Jordan Marsden is still on crutches, a week after he was attacked by a small shark while surfing at Playalinda Beach. Marsden realized something was wrong after he felt an excruciating pain in his foot.

"It felt like my foot got run over by a car, at first, and there was a lot of pressure and I put my foot down and then I jerked away and that's how I got the teeth in my foot," Marsden recalled.

After getting x-rays, doctors found two small teeth in Marsden's foot. Even after examining the teeth, Marsden said he still isn't sure what kind of shark it was.

It's rare to see shark bites in January, but the warmer weather brings more surfers into the water, which increases the risk of an attack.

http://www.wftv.com/news/15082692/detail.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

01/10/2008 Jordan Marsden (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Despite bite from shark, surfer ready to hit beach

Doctors remove embedded teeth
Jordan Marsden
Jordan Marsden
jordan.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 13091 times

Chomped. Jordan Marsden rests at his Titusville home Thursday after he apparently was bitten on the left foot by a shark while surfing Jan. 10 at Playalinda Beach. Rik Jesse, FLORIDA TODAY

TITUSVILLE - Jordan Marsden tried to catch one more wave before Playalinda Beach closed when he felt the tug on his left foot of what he at first thought was a crab.

But when the Titusville surfer and a friend saw the blood run from layered teeth marks that wrapped around his ankle, they realized the cause was likely a shark.

"I told him, 'Dude, that was not a crab,' " said friend Johnny Roberts, 19, of Titusville.

The Jan. 10 attack marked the first shark bite for 2008 along the 24-mile Canaveral National Seashore, Chief Ranger Eric Lugo said.

Last year, the federal seashore had two bites, one at Playalinda Beach and one at Apollo Beach in Volusia County, he said.

Marsden likely was bitten by either a sand or a black tip shark, Lugo said.

Whatever it was -- the 20-year-old didn't turn back to look -- shocked him, Marsden said.

"I was scared he was going to come back and get me," he said.

Marsden said he attempted to push off the ocean floor but he was too deep in the water to hit the ground.

But when he pushed down, the shark came up from underneath and bit his foot, he said. He pulled away and the shark let go.

Marsden had surgery Monday to have fragments of shark teeth removed from his foot.

Despite the scare, the bandages and the bruised and swollen foot, Marsden looks forward to returning to his daily surfing trips.

"As soon as this is healed over, I'll definitely be back out there," he said.

Contact Cervenka at 360-1018 or scervenka@floridatoday.com.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... e=news0306

Return to “2008 Shark Attacks ~ Shark Attacks 2008”