"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

09/08/2007 Carolyn Griffin (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

09/08/2007 Carolyn Griffin (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Shark bites woman near Pepper Park
Click-2-Listen
By PAUL QUINLAN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 10, 2007

A shark bit a woman on the leg as she waded through three feet of water off Pepper Park beach, a sheriff's report said.

Carolyn Griffin, 58, told deputies she thought the bump she felt on her leg around 11:45 a.m. Saturday came from a stray boogie board, the report said.

Florida shark attacks

But Griffin spotted the three feet long shark as it swam away.

The bite left several lacerations on Griffin's leg, each three and four inches long and deep enough to reach to the calf muscle, a lifeguard told deputies.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/cont ... kbite.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Woman survives shark bite in Pepper Park
By Rebecca Panoff (Contact)
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

FORT PIERCE — Florida native Carolyn Griffin never imagined she would be face-to-face with a bull shark when she went to the beach on Saturday.

When Port St. Lucie resident Griffin visited Pepper Park with family, she expected to frolic in the ocean. Instead, she ended up in the hospital with 12 tooth punctures on the front of her leg and a 2-inch gash that went deep into her calf muscle and required six staples.

"It wasn't like a really bad thing. I was really fortunate," Griffin said Monday.

Griffin had just waded into the water, which she said was a little churned up and murky, when she felt a bump on her leg. At first she thought it was a boogie board — until she saw a fin swimming away, she said. According to Griffin, the lifeguard at the beach said her wound was consistent with a 4-foot-long bull shark.

"I've lived in Florida all my life and I've been to the beach a lot. I never dreamed I'd have a shark bite," she said.

Once the salt water began stinging her wound, Griffin immediately went to the lifeguard on duty at the beach, who called everyone out of the water and wrapped her wound. An ambulance took Griffin to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute where she was treated.

But don't think her experience with the shark will keep Griffin out of the water.

"I think I'll go in again. I think I'll go in when it's more clear to see what's there," she said.
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Woman Reports Shark Bite

POSTED: 6:24 pm EDT September 10, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH -- A woman told police a shark bit her several times on the leg while she was swimming near West Palm Beach.

Fifty-eight-year-old Carolyn Griffin said she thought the bump she felt on her leg at Pepper Park on Saturday came from a stray boogie board. But then Griffin spotted the three foot long shark swimming away.

The bites were several inches long, reaching all the way to her calf muscle.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/14085848/detail.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Woman bitten by shark while swimming near Pepper ParkBy Rebecca Panoff (Contact)
Originally published 01:12 p.m., September 10, 2007
Updated 01:12 p.m., September 10, 2007

FORT PIERCE — A local woman was bitten by a shark Saturday while swimming near Pepper Park according to a police report obtained Monday.

The 58-year-old woman was wading in water about 3 feet deep when she felt a bump on her leg, which she thought was from a boogie board but she then saw a 3-foot shark swimming away, according to the report.

Her wound was about 3-to-4 inches long and deep into her calf muscle, according to the lifeguard who treated her.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/sep/10/ ... pper-park/

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”