"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

08/08/2007 Ashley Silverman (Florida)

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

08/08/2007 Ashley Silverman (Florida)

Post by sharkbait »

Woman in surgery after apparent shark attackeberas@MiamiHerald.com

AL DIAZ / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
Ashley Silverman, 19, was on a boat in the Keys Tuesday afternoon when she decided to jump into the water and cool off. Immediately she felt something gnawing on her arm.

I saw my bone', said shark victim
A Jacksonville woman was undergoing surgery Wednesday for injuries she received in an encounter with a shark in Monroe County waters.

Ashley Silverman, 19, was on a boat in the Keys Tuesday afternoon when she decided to jump into the water and cool off. Immediately she felt something gnawing on her arm.

Silverman began screaming and thrashing.

Silverman's boyfriend Christopher Wood, with whom she had been vacationing, jumped into the water and pulled her out.

She was taken to Mariners Hospital in the Keys, and then airlifted to Baptist Health South in Kendall.

Surgery was taking place Wednesday afternoon.

Although Silverman did not get a good look at the fish that attacked her, Dr. Randy Miller, who was performing the surgery, said the gashes on her right arm appeared to match wounds inflicted by a shark, possibly a bull shark.

Miller said he handles about four shark-bite cases a year.

He said the gash is 20 centimeters long and eight centimeters wide.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 96615.html
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Florida Woman Survives Shark Attack

Diana Gonzalez Reports

Ashley Silverman was attacked by a shark in south Florida.

Provided By: NBC News
Last Modified: 8/9/2007 1:38:25 PM

A swim turned scary for a woman in south Florida Tuesday when a shark bit down on her arm.

"I jumped in the water just to go for a swim and next thing you know, I came up and I was covered in blood," shark bite victim Ashley Silverman said.

Silverman said she was just trying to cool off when the shark went on the attack Tuesday at Bud N' Mary's Marina in Islamorada.

Silverman was airlifted to Baptist Hospital in Kendall and underwent surgery on her arm Wednesday.

Silverman and her boyfriend, Christopher Wood, both from Jacksonville, were vacationing in the Keys.

"I jumped in the water and then I just felt it snap on my arm," she said. "It was quick, really quick. Then I just felt my hand and felt my bone. I saw my bone. There were pieces of my flesh in the water. Muscles were like, oozing out. It was really gross," said Silverman.

Wood jumped in to rescue her as soon as the shark clamped down.

"As soon as she said, 'Baby, help me,' were the first words out of her mouth, I just jumped in the water and tried to snatch her onto the boat as fast as I could," Wood said.

"I helped the guy put the tourniquet on her arm and, I mean, blood was just everywhere."

Doctors said Silverman was lucky she did not lose her right arm.

They said she now faces six to 12 hours of reconstructive surgery.

"She has a large piece of tissue that's missing," said Dr. Randy Miller.

No one saw the shark, but based on the bite, Miller said he believes it was a 10- to 15-foot shark.

"The reason we think it was a shark is because shark's teeth face inward," Dr. Miller added.

"So, when a shark bites and the shark doesn't let go and it wiggles its head or the person tries to pull away from the shark, usually that tissue just gets ripped right out of the patient. And that's exactly what happened in this case."

Doctors said after the operation Silverman will face a lot of physical therapy because of the nerves and tendons that were affected by the attack.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_new ... yid=101442
sharkbait
Site Admin

Post by sharkbait »

Shark Bite Victim Shares Graphic Story
Swimmer: I Felt Something Gnawing On Me

POSTED: 7:30 am EDT August 9, 2007
UPDATED: 8:27 am EDT August 9, 2007

MIAMI -- A Jacksonville woman is recovering in a Miami hospital after being bitten by a shark off the Florida Keys.

Ashley Silverman, 19, had surgery Wednesday. She was on a boat Tuesday afternoon when she decided to jump into the water to cool off.

Silverman said immediately after she jumped in, she could feel something gnawing on her arm. She looked down at her arm and saw bone and muscle tissue. She said the water became bloody and she could see pieces of her flesh in the water.

Silverman's boyfriend managed to pull her out and get her medical assistance.

Her doctors said the animal that attacked her could have been a bull shark.

http://www.wesh.com/news/13854505/detail.html

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”