"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

12/07/2009 Malvis Cristino de Souza ( Brazil )

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2007.
sharkbait
Site Admin

12/07/2009 Malvis Cristino de Souza ( Brazil )

Post by sharkbait »

Fisher tries to catch shark and is attacked

Translation: Portuguese » English

Cities / JC

Published 08/12/2007

A shark species rockcod yesterday attacked another person in the coast of Pernambuco, but this time was the victim's behavior that surprised. The fisherman Malvas Cristino de Souza, 28, spotted the animal in a pen - the type of fish trap constructed of wood - Itamaracá, Great Barrier, and dove to catch it. He and a friend, identified only as Rodrigo, were closing the trawl when the female of 2.27 meters bit his left foot Mallow. The boy managed to get rid of kicking the head of the animal, soon received care at the Hospital of the Restoration (HR), in Recife, and well. As the victim knew the risk he ran, the case does not enter the official statistics of attacks.
Despite the shock, the medical HR found that the wound is superficial and there was no fracture. Very quiet, the fisherman said he was the first time that plunged into a corral with a shark, even this practice is not so rare. "I work on the high seas. But I went to the barn because my colleague had to get the fish and did not find anyone to accompany him, "he said.

The fishermen left Praia da Baixa Verde, near Pilar, at 7am. After 40 minutes on a rowing boat, the two reached the corral and saw the shark. "My friend said it was a shark (shark species), but I said it was a dogfish. At the same time we wanted to take the animal to sell, "said wicked, who at that time entered the sea with the colleague to position the network in the corral.

The attack happened at 9am. "I pushed the slang (piece of wood that serves to close the network) with the foot and then just felt something snapping my foot. I started screaming and my friend helped to scare the animal. I was very afraid. The shark was so big it broke into the network, "he said. Other fishermen led mauve to HR, where he should be hospitalized at least until Sunday receiving injections of antibiotics. Although not serious, the wound of 20 centimeters, can become infected due to bacteria in the mouth of the animal.

Mavis had much luck. For the size of the animal could have lost his leg. It is what does the course coordinator of care to victims of shark attack Hospital of Aeronautics and HR vascular surgeon, doctor Claudio Souza. "The attack was characteristic of being a warning, when the animal wants to scare. He had no nerves hit. If it was a concentrated attack, for sure pluck the leg of the boy, "he believes. The fisherman is ignoring the hype. "Would you try to catch a shark, because it makes money," he said, had captured a fish like three years ago in high seas.

The director of the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture of the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco (UFRPE) and coordinator of the State Monitoring Incidents Sharks (Cemit), Fabio Hazin, classified the incident as an accident at work. "He intended to catch the shark and the Expos, he said. "This type of incident is not random, but caused," the doctor Claudio Souza. Officially, 50 accidents were recorded with the fish on the coast of Pernambuco since 1992. Nineteen have been fatal.

Original Report

Pescador tenta pegar tubarão e é atacado

De Cidades/JC

Publicado em 08.12.2007

Um tubarão da espécie cabeça-chata atacou ontem mais uma pessoa no litoral pernambucano, porém desta vez foi o comportamento da vítima que surpreendeu. O pescador Malvis Cristino de Souza, 28 anos, avistou o animal em um curral – tipo de armadilha para peixes construída com madeira – em Itamaracá, Grande Recife, e mergulhou para capturá-lo. Ele e um amigo, identificado apenas como Rodrigo, estavam fechando a rede de arrasto quando a fêmea de 2,27 metros mordeu o pé esquerdo de Malvis. O rapaz conseguiu livrar-se chutando a cabeça do bicho, logo recebeu atendimento no Hospital da Restauração (HR), no Recife, e passa bem. Como a vítima sabia o risco que corria, o caso não entra nas estatísticas oficiais de ataques.
Apesar do susto, médicos do HR constataram que a ferida é superficial e não houve fratura. Bastante tranqüilo, o pescador contou que era a primeira vez que mergulhava em um curral com um tubarão, mesmo essa prática não sendo tão rara. “Eu trabalho em alto-mar. Mas fui ao curral porque meu colega precisava buscar os peixes e não tinha achado ninguém que o acompanhasse”, explicou.

Os pescadores deixaram a Praia da Baixa Verde, perto do Pilar, às 7h. Depois de 40 minutos em barco a remo, os dois chegaram ao curral e viram o tubarão. “Meu amigo disse que era um lixa (espécie de tubarão), mas eu falei que era um cação. Na mesma hora a gente quis pegar o bicho para vender”, contou Malvis, que nesse momento entrou no mar com o colega para posicionar a rede no curral.

O ataque aconteceu às 9h. “Empurrei o calão (peça de madeira que serve para fechar a rede) com o pé e aí só senti uma coisa abocanhando meu pé. Comecei a gritar e meu amigo ajudou a espantar o bicho. Tive muito medo. O tubarão era tão grande que arrombou a rede”, disse. Outros pescadores levaram Malvis para o HR, onde ele deve ficar internado pelo menos até domingo recebendo injeções de antibióticos. Ainda que não seja grave, a ferida, de 20 centímetros, pode infeccionar devido às bactérias presentes na boca do animal.

Malvis teve muita sorte. Pelo porte do animal, poderia ter perdido a perna. É o que pensa o coordenador do curso de atendimento a vítimas de ataque de tubarão do Hospital da Aeronáutica e cirurgião vascular do HR, médico Cláudio Souza. “O ataque teve característica de ser de advertência, quando o animal quer assustar. Ele não teve nem nervos atingidos. Se fosse um ataque concentrado, com toda a certeza arrancaria a perna do rapaz”, acredita. O pescador faz pouco caso do alarde. “Voltaria a tentar pescar um tubarão, porque dá dinheiro”, disse ele, que já capturou um peixe do tipo há três anos em alto-mar.

O diretor do Departamento de Pesca e Aqüicultura da Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco (UFRPE) e coordenador do Comitê Estadual de Monitoramento de Incidentes com Tubarões (Cemit), Fábio Hazin, classificou o ocorrido como acidente de trabalho. “Ele tinha a intenção de pescar o tubarão e se expôs”, sentenciou. “Este tipo de incidente não é fortuito, e sim provocado”, completou o médico Cláudio Souza. Oficialmente, foram registrados 50 acidentes com o peixe no litoral pernambucano desde 1992. Dezenove foram fatais.

http://jc3.uol.com.br/2007/12/27/not_157583.php

Return to “2007 Reported Shark Attacks”