Posted at 5:06 p.m., Friday, February 24, 2006
Find indicates shark attack on Maui
MAKENA, Maui — Diving gear and partial human remains indicating a shark attack were recovered from the ocean off Makena today.
The remains have not been identified, but officials are searching for a 45-year-old diver from San Jose, Calif., who had been missing since yesterday. It was not immediately known whether the victim recovered today was killed by a shark or perhaps drowned or died of other causes.
The Coast Guard said that free diver Anthony Moore left Makena Landing at 3 p.m. yesterday and was due back two hours later. When he didn't return, his wife contacted authorities and a search was launched by the Coast Guard and the Maui Fire Department.
A ground, aerial and ocean search continued today. Maui Fire Department acting Battalion Chief Jack Williams said that at about 8 a.m., a kayaker spotted diving gear and a small portion of remains on the surface at a popular diving spot known as "Five Graves" because of burials onshore. Fire department divers went into the water at about 11:30 a.m. about 500 yards from shore and found more remains on the bottom, he said.
Williams said searchers did not see any sharks in the area.
Because the remains have not been identified, the Coast Guard is continuing its air and sea search for Moore.
As a precaution, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources closed a 2-mile stretch of coastline from the Kea Lani resort to Pu'u 'Ola'i.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... br05p.html