"Shark Attack Survivors News Archive"

07/00/2006 Bruce Lurie ( California )

Shark Attack Survivors News Archive for Shark Attacks in 2006.
sharkbait
Site Admin

07/00/2006 Bruce Lurie ( California )

Post by sharkbait »

Paralyzed Shark-Attack Victim Fights His Way Back to His Feet
Bruce Lurie (right) never saw the shark that hit him so hard it nearly snapped his spinal cord in two off the Southern California coast back in July 2006.
Bruce Lurie (right) never saw the shark that hit him so hard it nearly snapped his spinal cord in two off the Southern California coast back in July 2006.
bruce_lurie.jpg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 14971 times
Dr. Fuhrman's advice has a powerful impact on Bruce's courageous recovery from spinal cord injuries.
Bruce

I suffered a massive and catastrophic spinal cord injury while 'boogie boarding' with my son in July 2006. I was attacked by a sea lion or a large shark, possibly a Mako shark or a white shark, going after the sea lion. I nearly drowned and was only saved because my 13-year-old son pulled me from the water. Other people on the beach helped to resuscitate me while I lay motionless on the beach with no pulse and no breath for several minutes. The accident rendered me a quadriplegic.

I was in intensive care for 30 days and then went to Craig Hospital in Denver, Colorado, a world-recognized spinal cord injury rehabilitation center for 3 1/2 months of intensive therapy and medical treatment. I was paralyzed below the neck and was suffering from numerous infections. I had major surgery done to repair my broken neck. I was on IVs and a respirator. I could not swallow or speak.

While at Craig Hospital, my family contacted Dr. Fuhrman and told him I was being fed canned "nutrients" through a tube that went directly into my stomach. We asked Dr. Fuhrman to help devise a way that I could eat real food. Dr. Fuhrman worked closely with the hospital dietitian. The hospital was very cooperative, and in fact was eager to see what effect eating real food would have on my recovery.

Dr. Fuhrman prescribed a diet of numerous fruits, vegetables, seeds and berries. He arranged with the dietitian to have a nearby Whole Foods supermarket supply the food and blend the ingredients for me in a VitaMix blender. The food was then inserted directly into my stomach by the nurses through a tube.

Almost immediately after I began to eat the real food prescribed by Dr. Fuhrman, my infections completely healed. At about the same time, I was able to start breathing without the ventilator. Although I had a long way to recover from my accident, I started feeling better. After a few weeks of having the real food injected into my stomach, I learned to swallow again and was able to begin eating whole foods by mouth.

It has been 3 years since my accident and I have continued the diet that Dr. Fuhrman recommends. Despite my devastating injury, my vulnerability to infections and the long road that I have traveled towards recovery, I have not been sick for a single day since I began the diet that Dr. Fuhrman recommends. I have been able to focus on the difficult task of learning to walk again.

As a result of following Dr. Fuhrman's method of eating and a good deal of exercise and working out, I was the healthiest I had ever been on the day of my accident. The morning of the accident, I had been running on the beach with our dogs and we had been boogie boarding, running, walking and ice skating regularly that whole month.

The doctors have commented that if I were not as fit as I had been, I probably never would have survived this whole ordeal or had the strength to recover as much as I have.

I am very grateful to Dr. Fuhrman for taking the time to help me recover and for having such a profound impact on my path to recovery.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/success/Succes ... spx?id=302

Return to “2006 Reported Shark Accidents”