Possible Attack Incident in Italy

(ANSAmed) – CAGLIARI, April 7 – It will take at least 60 days at the medical examiner Roberto Demontis to figure out if they were the two deep wounds in the hip and shoulder, compatible with the attack of a shark, to cause the death of Eugenio Masala, the sub Cagliari 43 years (resident in Trento), whose lifeless body was recovered on April 3 to 70 meters deep after a dive on 29 March in front of the military polygon of Quirra. The autopsy, which was highlighted in the morning, did not find in the lungs a quantity of water such as to suggest a drowning, but even on this – as on the assumption of the attack shark – the Prosecution urges caution, at least before the examinations are concluded. The two wounds (twenty centimeters wide and 14 deep) would still be compatible with the bite of a big fish, as well as the marks left on the outline of the sub. The problem, however, is that the sub had disappeared on March 29 during a dive and that, therefore, for six days, his body remained at sea: the attack, therefore, may have happened already when the vital functions had ceased . It ‘just that the medical examiner is trying to find out through the histological solicited by prosecutor Enrico Lussu, in addition to ascertaining the cause of death. Among the cases being considered by the consultant would also include embolism or an illness. Within clarify also the correct operation of the cylinders of depth and dispenser air that the sub wore for the dive at that depth. The answers to all the questions will come out only by histological examination for which the expert of the Prosecutor has obtained two months. (ANSA. 07. April 2015).

http://www.ansa.it

and Massimo Diodato

Shark attack kills German tourist at Red Sea resort in Egypt 2015

AL-QUSAIR, Egypt, March 22 (UPI) — A German tourist is dead after a shark bit his leg off at a resort on Egypt’s Red Sea coast, according to officials.

The unidentified 52-year-old man died after being rushed to a hospital Sunday in the coastal city of al-Qusair. Officials said the shark bit his leg off below the knee. An investigation is underway.

An official with the German Embassy in Cairo confirmed reports that a German citizen died in the area but said they had not been notified of a cause of death.

The last recorded shark attack in the region, which is a popular diving destination, occurred in 2010 when a 70-year-old woman — also a German tourist — was killed while snorkeling in waters off Sharm el-Sheikh.

The 2010 attack came just days after four Eastern European tourists were injured in shark attacks in the same waters, which are reportedly abundant with oceanic whitetip sharks. The attacks prompted a week-long closure of the Sharm el-Sheikh resort.

A Frenchwoman was killed by a shark a year earlier in waters around al-Qusair.

Sunday’s attack comes four days after a doctor from Kansas City, Mo., suffered lacerations to his left forearm and thigh after being attacked by a tiger shark in waters off Hapuna Beach, Hawaii.

http://www.upi.com

Randall Jordan Guilty of breaking Florida Shark Feeding Law

Shark Cowboy Randall Jordan Guilty of breaking Florida Fish Feeding Law.

Guilty on all three counts.
– No jail time. 12 months probation.
– Total $1,500 fines.
– Must pay court costs $1,800.
– Community service.
– Investigation costs to be determined later.

The investigation costs share could be high. the State Attorney said during sentencing that they wanted to hurt Jordan in the pocket book which was his motivation for doing this shark feeding activity.

Feeding sharks to make a buck is not conservation. Commodifying predators and/or entrainment of sharks is not conservation. It is animal abuse.

We ask divers to boycott boats, captains, instructors, divers and businesses that break Florida law by feeding or baiting fish for amusement and to avoid shark education awareness scams, etc. Report violations of law to the FWC by calling the Wildlife Alert hotline at 1-888-404-3922. You can also text or email Tip@MyFWC.com.

 

Finned Sand Tiger Shark that survived a Human Attack

She is a fully finned female sand tiger that survived and all wounds are healed. Angler did not tag her because her girth made them believe she was carrying pups and to release asap. She was caught in Ocean City, MD in a spot 36 others were caught(no they were not finned) in the past month and a half, so shes cycling normal imo. She swam like a snake and was strong enough to knock angler over and break off swimming into surf.

-Caught 1\2 mile off Ocean City Inlet

-She was 91 inches from nose to what was left of      lower caudal, 84 inches from nose to where caudal starts, estimated she would have been 100 inches if 3\4 of her caudal wasn’t gone.
-She was very “girthie” thought to have pups
-She swam like a snake. 3rd wave hit gills, he felt her pulsate and she exploded to right almost knocking him over.
– All wounds fully healed and he felt they were over a year old.
-Estimated at 300lbs
-He caught 36 total in same spot the past month and a half.
-His bait shop in Ocean City claimed its a normal occurrence with sandtigers in the area, when he showed them photos. They are caught yearly in that condition.

I believe this is the first ever documented full finning survivor. I do believe this might be species specific due to sand tigers gulping or holding air.

finned-shark-1

 

finned-shark-2

Photo Credits: E.L. Jehl.

Information Credits: Melissa Michaelson

Clink on images to see full size

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOVtkUmq9c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

 

Man dead after Fatal Shark Attack at Byron Bay – NSW Australia

Man attacked by shark at Byron Bay

Sydney Morning Herald, September 9, 2014

A man has died following a shark attack at Byron Bay on the New South Wales far north coast, paramedics say.

A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said the man died on Clarkes Beach just after 11am.

Witnesses called triple-0 at 10.42am on Tuesday saying a man had been bitten by a shark at the southern end of the beach, off Lawson Street.

The NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said a doctor performed CPR on the man, who had a “very serious bite” on his leg, but he could not be saved.

He was pronounced dead on the beach.

Police said the man was in the water when “he was bitten on the right leg by what is believed to be a shark”.

Bystanders spotted the man in the water, and dragged him to the beach. It is understood that part of the man’s leg was missing, and was found floating in the surf.

One witness said he saw the victim, whom he described as a surfer, get pulled out of the water.

The witness, who did not want to be identified, said there was no shark alarm following the attack. He said there were “still heaps of surfers in the water down near The Wreck [a surf spot at Byron Bay] and there wasn’t any shark alarms or anything”.

A shark, estimated to be two metres long, was spotted near the site where the man died not long after the attack.

Police said the man, aged in his 50s and from Byron Bay, had been formally identified by a family member.

It is understood the man may have been attempting to swim from The Pass to Byron Bay’s Main Beach when he was attacked.

Syl Reid, from the Winter Whales swimming club in Byron Bay, said many people did that swim each day.

“There are probably 20 to 30 people out there most days, and on weekends a bit more. It’s popular. Lots of people swim out and go snorkelling on the little reefs, too,” he said.

Mr Reid, who has been swimming in Byron Bay for more than 60 years, estimated the swim from The Pass to Main Beach was about 900 metres.

Surf Life Saving NSW spokeswoman Donna Wishart said Byron Bay beaches were closed from Belongil to Tallows Beach, south of Cape Byron.

“We’ve got our life guard service on its way and our lifeguard supervisor is on his way and they’ll be instituting a full beach closure, that whole headland area,” she said.

Ms Wishart said the beach was not supervised at the time of the attack, as it occurred about a week before the lifeguards’ seasonal duties began.
“We’re going to put guard on for today and tomorrow because it’s normal operating procedure to close the beach for at least 24 hours,” she said on Tuesday.

“We’ll be doing some surveillance work and we’ll monitor the waterways to determine whether there’s an ongoing hazard.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/