Man attacked by shark at Byron Bay
A man has died following a shark attack at Byron Bay on the New South Wales far north coast, paramedics say.
A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said the man died on Clarkes Beach just after 11am.
Witnesses called triple-0 at 10.42am on Tuesday saying a man had been bitten by a shark at the southern end of the beach, off Lawson Street.
The NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said a doctor performed CPR on the man, who had a “very serious bite” on his leg, but he could not be saved.
He was pronounced dead on the beach.
Police said the man was in the water when “he was bitten on the right leg by what is believed to be a shark”.
Bystanders spotted the man in the water, and dragged him to the beach. It is understood that part of the man’s leg was missing, and was found floating in the surf.
One witness said he saw the victim, whom he described as a surfer, get pulled out of the water.
The witness, who did not want to be identified, said there was no shark alarm following the attack. He said there were “still heaps of surfers in the water down near The Wreck [a surf spot at Byron Bay] and there wasn’t any shark alarms or anything”.
A shark, estimated to be two metres long, was spotted near the site where the man died not long after the attack.
Police said the man, aged in his 50s and from Byron Bay, had been formally identified by a family member.
It is understood the man may have been attempting to swim from The Pass to Byron Bay’s Main Beach when he was attacked.
Syl Reid, from the Winter Whales swimming club in Byron Bay, said many people did that swim each day.
“There are probably 20 to 30 people out there most days, and on weekends a bit more. It’s popular. Lots of people swim out and go snorkelling on the little reefs, too,” he said.
Mr Reid, who has been swimming in Byron Bay for more than 60 years, estimated the swim from The Pass to Main Beach was about 900 metres.
Surf Life Saving NSW spokeswoman Donna Wishart said Byron Bay beaches were closed from Belongil to Tallows Beach, south of Cape Byron.
“We’ve got our life guard service on its way and our lifeguard supervisor is on his way and they’ll be instituting a full beach closure, that whole headland area,” she said.
Ms Wishart said the beach was not supervised at the time of the attack, as it occurred about a week before the lifeguards’ seasonal duties began.
“We’re going to put guard on for today and tomorrow because it’s normal operating procedure to close the beach for at least 24 hours,” she said on Tuesday.
“We’ll be doing some surveillance work and we’ll monitor the waterways to determine whether there’s an ongoing hazard.”
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/
WHDH News: Great White Shark Attacks Kayakers off Mass. Coast
Two kayakers managed to escape unscathed after a great white shark took a bite out of one of their boats Wednesday evening off the coast of Plymouth (Plymouth County, Massachusetts), officials said. The incident was reported to the Plymouth harbormaster at about 6 p.m. Wednesday ( Sept 3rd ), according to Assistant Harbor Master Stefan Gustafson. The shark bit through the bottom of their boat and flipped it over. Harbormaster officials responded to Manomet Point, about 100 yards off the coast, he said.
See related video @ http://sharkyear.com/2014/whdh-news-great-white-shark-attacks-kayakers-off-mass-coast.html
Shark Attack File Clarification from us Shark Attack Survivors
Many people wonder why our information is so much different than the information from the International Shark Attack File (ISAF).
We both start off getting reports of shark attack. We both investigate and confirm the incident happened. At this point the number of attacks is pretty much equal. In 2013 we have reports of 120 incidents while the ISAF investigated 125.
The ISAF takes it one step further and tries to confirm the incident was not provoked by a human and the incident meets their guidelines to become a confirmed to be unprovoked shark attack. In 2013 they were able to confirm 72 of the 125 investigated shark attacks met their guidelines. It does not mean there were only 72 shark attacks in 2013 it only means there were 72 shark attacks that met their guidelines.
This table will show you how the 125 attacks were divided up in 2013 by the ISAF.
|Shark Attacks & Shark Attack Related Incidents
|No Shark Involved
||Investigated & Could not Confirm Shark Involvement.
||Investigated & Confirmed & Confirmed Unprovoked.
||Investigated & Confirmed.
|Not Enough Evidence
||Investigated & Confirmed but could not confirm Unprovoked.
|Marine Vessel / Boat
||Investigated & Confirmed.
|Air or Sea disaster
||Investigated & Confirmed.
||Investigated & Confirmed.
||Investigated not Reported
If you minus the “no shark involvement” (6) from the ISAF 125 they have 119 incidents involving sharks while we have 120 we are both even closer.
We ask all ocean goers to use some common sense prior to entering the ocean. Do your own investigation for the area you plan to visit and the activity you plan to participate in. You set your own guidelines for the information that’s important to you and remember only 15% of the world reports shark attacks. 90% of all reported incidents happen at English speaking countries who believe in freedom of the press.
Here is a good example of how the ISAF guidelines might differ from your guidelines.
12/02/2013 – Patrick Briney – Hawaii – *** Fatal *** Patrick was fishing for little baitfish with his feet dangling in the water. Bam big shark rips off his foot and he dies. This incident does not meet the ISAF guidelines so it is not counted in all those fancy graphs, tables, and charts. Persons kayak fishing should take notice don’t dangle your feet in the water while fishing. Even if Patrick wasn’t fishing this incident would not meet the ISAF guidelines, he was in a vessel or boat attack.
Learn from our experiences we don’t want to add your name to our SAS sites or see you referenced as a number in next year’s summary.
2013 ISAF shark attack summary
If you should have any questions contact us or contact the ISAF they supply these figures every year. We just made them a little easier to understand.
Shark Attack at Pavilion, Muizenberg Beach South Africa
At 14h07, Friday, 01 August, NSRI Simonstown volunteer sea rescue duty crew and CMR (Cape Medical Response) were activated following reports of a man bitten by a shark while surfing off-shore of the Pavilion, Muizenberg Beach.
The man was reported to have been assisted out of the water.
NSRI Simonstown volunteers, CMR paramedics and a CMR ambulance, the SA Police Services, WC Government Health EMS, City of Cape Town Law Enforcement, Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services and the Red Cross AMS Skymed helicopter responded.
NSRI Strandfontein were placed on alert.
On arrival on-scene a 20 year old male, from Newlands (originally from Durban), was found to be in a stable condition with multiple lacerations to his lower limbs (some of which are deep lacerations) and an avulsion to the left thigh.
A member of the public had begun first aid treatment on the scene prior to paramedics arriving and the member of the public had cut the surf board leash from the surfers surf board and had tied the leash around the patients limbs to act as a tourniquet to stem the flow of blood.
The man has been airlifted by the Skymed helicopter to hospital in a stable condition for further treatment.
He was assisted out of the water by his friend.
At the time of the incident the Shark Spotters were flying the Black Shark Flag (indicating poor water and weather visibility conditions – a misty haze) and a bystander had approached the shark spotters to inform them that they had seen a shark fin in the water and the incident happened when the Shark Siren (indicating swimmers and surfers to clear the water) was in the process of being activated.
Shark Spotters and Law Enforcement officers have closed Muizenberg Beach and bathers and surfers along the False Bay coastline are urged to exercise caution.
The species of shark involved has been confirmed by the bite marks to have been a White Shark and eye-witness accounts suggest the shark to have been between 3 and 4 meters in length but the length of the shark cannot be confirmed pending further investigations.
An eight-year-old boy vacationing with his family was bitten by a shark just a few feet from the shore in Indialantic.
The Indiana family had just arrived at the beach near the boardwalk early Monday afternoon. Michelle Jarman and her son Aadyn Crick had just gotten into the water to test the current.
Michelle stepped out to put her shoes away and Aadyn stayed in the water. That’s when she heard a scream.
“I turned around and picked him up. I mean, the whole bottom part of his knee, it was exposed, it was showing bone,” she said.
The family is convinced the youngster was bitten by a shark. He said he didn’t know what had happened.
The wound is several inches wide and deep. The picture is too graphic to show. His mother didn’t panic. She and other family members helped out and called 911.
Aadyn was rushed to Holmes Regional in Melbourne where doctors took him to surgery. The eight-year-old was getting ready for some physical therapy just after we spoke to them.
The family said the hospital staff has treated them well. His mother said Aadyn will always have a story to tell.
“Everyone keeps telling him ‘chicks dig scars’,” she said.
The family said they are staying until Friday then driving back home to Indiana. That’s where Aadyn will continue to recover from the bite.